Learning for Children with Additional Needs
At South Acton Children’s Centre we cater for a range of children with mild to complex special needs.
The centre’s philosophy is:
- to create an environment that meets the additional learning needs of each child;
- to ensure that the additional learning needs of children are identified, assessed and provided for;
- to make clear the expectations of all partners in the process;
- to identify the roles and responsibilities of staff in providing for children's additional learning needs;
- to enable all children to have full access to all elements of the early years curriculum.
Through appropriate curricular provision and as part of Inclusion we respect the fact that children:
- have different educational and behavioural needs and aspirations;
- require different strategies for learning;
- acquire, assimilate and communicate information at different rates;
- need a range of different teaching approaches and experiences.
Staff respond to children's needs by:
- providing support for children who need help with communication, language, literacy and numeracy;
- planning to develop children's understanding through the use of a multi-sensory approach whenever possible and practical;
- planning and assisting for children's participation in learning and in physical and practical activities;
- helping children to manage their behaviour and to take part in learning effectively and safely;
- helping children to manage their emotions, particularly trauma and stress, and to take part in learning.